04 Jul Chickpeas & spinach curry with sweet potatoes
I’ve done Chickpeas & spinach curry several times during fitness bootcamps and each time it was a great success.
Preparation & cooking: 30 minutes - if using pre-cooked ingredients
Calories: low, eat your fill
Tools you may need: large pot
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove of garlic (chopped)
- 1 medium size sweet potato (cut in small cubes)
- 400g chickpeas from the tin (drained & rinsed). Ideally – chickpeas cooked from raw
- 250g baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tbs of curry powder (I use Madras curry, but you can use your favourite)
- 400 ml coconut milk
- 300 ml stock (must be hot and can be from the veg or chicken cubes). Ideally – make your own stock
- 1 tbs of flour
- 2-3 tbs of oil (can be olive oil but not virgin)
- salt & pepper, chopped coriander for garnish
- 1. Heat the oil in the large pot.
- 2. Add the onion, garlic, sweet potatoes.
- 3. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- 4. Add curry and flour.
- 5. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- 6. Add 100ml of warm stock & stir well.
- 7. Add another 100 ml of stock & stir well. Leave the remaining stock for later.
- 8. Add the coconut milk, bring to the boil, and turn the heat to medium.
- 9. Let it simmer for 5-7 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- 10. Add the chickpeas, simmer another 2-3 minutes.
- 11. Add spinach, season it with salt and pepper.
Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.Tip: If the sauce is not thick enough, let it simmer for another 5 minutes.